Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This will offend some - and for that I am sorry....

Today was a very frustrating day.  Doctors were actually the highlight of my day.  The meetings I had with physicians took very positive forms with valuable communication. 

The frustration is in the community. 

I focus the majority of my efforts on community education about hospice but every now and then a family surprises me.  I know that for those on aggressive chemo the fight will last until the end even when, and sometime especially when, the chemo is palliative and not curative.  Why?  Has someone not communicated the quality of life expectancy along with the life expectency time frame?

I know a family whose oncologist suggested to our agency that we be on standby in case his patient decided to enroll in hospice.  We stood by.  We waited. Today I got the word that the prospective patient has 2 days to 2 weeks to live and the family doesn't want hospice because that stands for death.

???????? And 2 days to 2 weeks doesn't mean that?

I don't presume to think we can do exceptional work in such a short time frame but maybe pain and symptoms could be controlled in the hours that the medical world is sleeping with the exception of the ER or maybe we could relieve family members as we guide them through the progression of the transition.  Maybe.

Frustration really never serves me very well.  I will have to just let it go and try to communicate better with the people in my community who may be in need of hospice services in the future.

My prayer tonight is that suffering is minimal for this patient and their family. My resolve is strenthened to reach out and educate others about this wonderful service called hospice.

 

 

Posted via web from Hospice Volunteer Training Online

No comments:

Post a Comment