Monday, December 20, 2010

The Best Pictures You will Take This Year

I am not a professional photographer but my work in hospice teaches me the value of living and photos of loved ones is part of that valuing process.

This weekend I took a few shots of my family celebrating an early Christmas dinner together. 

My mother usually loves to have her picture taken and then 99% of the time complains that it was not a good picture.

This year I asked her to do something different from the traditional, "look at the camera and smile" routine.

"Mama, look at someone in this room and remember a wonderful thought about them or a wish you have for them".  She looked at my niece and smiled that wonderful smile that can only come from the heart of someone that loves another.  The picture was perfect.  I was almost surprised when she looked at the shot and said, "That's......that's actually a good picture of me!".

So began a new tradition.  Each person in the room chose another person on which to focus and think kind or loving thoughts. Picture after picture came out great.  The best part is that when these pictures are reviewed, each of us will remember the person for whom we wished love for shared treasured life moments.

Hospice has taught me how to take great pictures; take them with love.

Posted via email from Hospice Volunteer Training Online

No comments:

Post a Comment