Sunday, March 7, 2010

Help me clarify this confusion

I am responding to this question and it is like so many I have received in the past.  I know what my answer will be but I would very much like to get the input of the social media community.  Let's see how we can help ease suffering for this family.  Just reply or retweet or whatever mode of answering you can use and I will culminate the answers in my reply.

Great-grandmother on hospice, tearing family apart?

Our great grandmother is the center of our family. she is the one who holds everyone together. she is 90 and has had a lot of complications with a surgery she had a few weeks ago and was put on hospice a few days ago. family is coming in from all over the country to see her but everyone is fighting with each other over everything. everyone thinks everyone else is not handling it the right way, not caring enough, didn't care enough until she was dying, to let her er pass in a nursing home or at her house etc

My grandmother, her brother and his wife (my great uncle and aunt) have lived with her to help take care of her for almost 5 yrs now. but really my grandmother has been taking care of her for over 20 yrs now. My great aunt (who MARRIED into the family) is saying things over facebook like "the dr said any day now" and telling every detail about what goes on (some things should be kept private) and in the hospital rolls her eyes and makes comments under her breath at our great-grandmother.

also my great-grandmother had her funeral plans all set about 2 yrs ago. and usually my grandmother will stand up to everyone and ask for advice from my mom but now all of a sudden the funeral plans have changed this week. and coincidentally, it involves more of my great aunts family than our own. also, we promised our great-grandmother we wouldnt put her in a nursing home and now they are saying they want to.

some people dont want to say anything until after the funeral because they dont want to upset my grandma or anything but some people cant stand that this is going on. its just completely tearing our entire family apart and we have a lot of people in our family and always have been close.

has anyone ever dealt with this kind of situation before? its very stressful and upsetting

Posted via web from Hospice Volunteer Training Online

No comments:

Post a Comment